Obtain a Certificate of Use
First, a City of Weston Certificate of Use (CU), issued by the City's Building Code Services Department, in accordance with City Code, is required prior to application for a Business Tax Receipt. A Certificate of Use is not an annual requirement, meaning when you renew your Business Tax Receipt each year, you will not have to renew your Certificate of Use.
CU applications are available for download or can be picked up at City Hall, 17200 Royal Palm Boulevard (954) 385-2000 and the Weston Building Code Services Department, located at 17250 Royal Palm Boulevard, Weston (954) 385-0500.
Once a Certificate of Use (CU) has been obtained you may submit the Business Tax Receipt application.
Submit a Business Tax Receipt (BTR) Application
Download and complete your BTR application online or pick up an application at City Hall, 17200 Royal Palm Boulevard or call (954) 385-2000 to have an application faxed to you.
Where Do I File the Business Tax Receipt (BTR) Application?
Completed BTR applications, including required documentation copies and applicable fee are accepted and processed at Weston City Hall. We cannot process first-time applications online
due to the State required documentation that must be received with the application.
The following documents are required upon filing your Business Tax Receipt application:
Additional documentation is required under City Code for Health or Ballroom Dance Studios, Mobile Food Vendors, Pest Control businesses, Pharmacies, Psychologists, Sellers of Travel, Telemarketers, and Contractors. Please contact the Business Tax Coordinator at 954-385-2000 or BTR @westonfl.org to obtain additional requirements.
- Copy of Certificate of Use (CU).
*Individual professionals will submit a copy of the affiliated general business' CU, along with a letter acknowledging the professional's use of the CU and whether there have been any changes to the space since the issue date that would require the issuance of a building permit.
**Subtenants may submit the Owner/Tenant CU, along with a letter acknowledging the use of the CU by the subtenant and whether there have been any changes to the space since the issue date that would require the issuance of a building permit.
- Fictitious Name Registration. A copy of current registration issued by the State must be provided by owners conducting a business under a name other than their own; OR a signed, written statement setting forth the reason the applicant or new owner need not comply with the Fictitious Name Act.
Fictitious Name Registration not required:
a) When the applicant is a licensed attorney forming a business for the practice of law in the State of Florida.
b) When the applicant is registered with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation and their licensing board has not imposed requirements for the registration as a fictitious name.
c) When the applicant is a corporation, partnership or other legal entity filed or registered and in good standing with the Division of Corporations and is not transacting business under any other name.
d) When the applicant is a federally chartered corporation and is not transacting business under any other name.
e) If the name(s) (first and last) of the owner(s) is/are included in the business name. Example: Susan Brown's Flower Shop is not required to register. Susan's Flower Shop must register.
- Copies of any active state certificate, registration, or license, from any person applying for the first time, to practice any profession regulated by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation or any board or commission thereof.
- Federal Employer Identification. Obtained from the IRS, (Form SS4) is required if your business is either: (I) State Corporation; or (II) Sole Proprietor with: (i) employees; (ii) Keough Plan; and (iii) Excise Tax (800-829-1040 / www.irs.gov )
Social Security Number. If not, required to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number from the IRS.
- Payment (cash, check or credit card) is required at the time your BTR application is filed.