Appointed as Weston’s first City Manager in July 1997, John R. Flint is the Chief Executive Officer of one of the nation's premier municipal corporations. Incorporated in 1996 by an overwhelming percentage of its voters, Weston has received international attention for being one of the country’s largest master-planned communities and for its progressive form of contractual municipal management.
Weston operates under the Commission-Manager form of government. The City Manager is selected and appointed by the City Commission and serves as the City's Chief Executive Officer. The City Manager is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the affairs of the City and the implementation of the policies established by the City Commission. The Manager oversees services to Weston’s residents.
This is accomplished through contracting for services with both private and public providers resulting in Weston having only nine city employees. The City of Weston chose to provide services to its residents and businesses through public and private sector contracts rather than through the traditional method of having numerous employees. This "contract" method of providing services enables the City to acquire and delete the amount of service it needs at any specific time; to do so in a competitive environment; and to operate without maintaining burdensome overhead.
The duties of the City Manager are outlined in the Weston Charter, Section 3.03, and include:
- The hiring, supervision and removal of all City employees;
- Direct and supervise the administration of all departments and offices;
- Attend City Commission meetings and have the right to take part in discussion but not the
right to vote;
- Ensure that all laws, provisions of the Charter and acts of the Commission are faithfully executed;
- Prepare and submit to the Commission a proposed annual budget and capital program;
- Submit to the Commission and make available to the public an annual report of the finances and administrative activities of the City;
- Execute documents on behalf of the City as authorized by the City Commission.