Tips to Avoid Citations - Property Checklist
The Property Checklist below is designed to help you evaluate your own property. Please review this information and take steps to be a responsible property owner.
CHECK YOUR PROPERTY
Repair rotted wood, broken or missing boards, siding or shingles and make all exterior parts weather tight, rodent proof and sound. Exteriors must be resistant to water and be covered with paint, siding, or brick that is in good condition. Inspect:
- exterior walls
- roof parts including rafters, soffits, fascia
- roof covering
- railings on stairs, elevated landings and porches
- fences (should be in good repair and legal height)
Keep housing safe, sanitary, in good repair and sound condition. Inspect both interior and exterior:
- walls, ceilings, floors
- plumbing pipes and fixtures
- windows and screens
Make sure that:
- garbage is properly disposed of
- that there are no areas where stagnant water collects and breeds mosquitoes
- Mow the lawn
- Edge or remove growth from sidewalks, curb lines, gutters
- The City has a free quarterly Bulk Trash Program for residential customers. The current yearly schedule and details program are available on the City web site under Public Works. Bulk trash information is available by calling (954) 385-2600.
Paving / Parking
- Store furniture, building materials, junk, disabled or untagged automobiles, refrigerators, freezers and auto parts inside of a legally constructed, fully enclosed structure.
- No trailers, boats or habitable motor vehicles of any nature shall be parked or stored on any property unless in a fully enclosed garage, except temporarily for routine cleaning, loading or unloading.
- Driveways, steps, sidewalks and other paved areas must be in good repair and free of debris.
- No vehicles shall be parked on front, side, or rear lawns when visible from any adjacent street or neighboring property.
- Vehicles may park on swales within the public right-of-way, in the direction of traffic, provided that vehicles shall not block access to driveways, and shall not be parked on or across sidewalks, or over a catch basin.
- Commercial vehicles shall not be parked or stored on any property unless in a fully enclosed garage. They may be temporarily parked throughout the day during periods of approved construction permitted by the City's Building Dept. or when being used for pick-up, delivery or the furnishing of commercial services.
- Home occupations (any business conducted from your home) must be properly licensed with a Business Tax Receipt (BTR) and must meet strict criteria. No traffic or outside display may occur and the occupation must be clearly secondary to the use of the property as a home. Call City Hall at 954-385-2000 for BTR information/application.